Local unions should be made up of local people.
At the NRCC, we are working each day to make this a reality in cities across the Northeast like Philadelphia, Newark, Jersey City, Camden and Baltimore.
In 2017, we announced the formation of "Shades of the Trades," a committee that will help us to increase the recruitment and retention of people of color and women in our Union.
This committee is focusing on:
- Developing solutions to overcome the challenges presented by our workforce demographics
- Engaging in community involvement/coalition building to reach our diversification goals
- Reshaping the Union’s public image to show our commitment to all working people
- Rebranding ourselves to show communities and elected officials that our Union represents them and people who live there.
Over the last year, we have participated in various events/received recognition from numerous Northeast organizations for our efforts, including:
- Puerto Rican Association for Human Development
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- New Jersey Work Environment Council for our efforts to support New Jersey’s immigrant community.
- Latinas United for Political Empowerment for our work with the Latino community.
For more information on the Shades of the Trade committee, please contact us at: (732) 417-9229.