Jobs Don't Have a Gender
The Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters' Sisters in the Brotherhood (SIB) program is breaking down barriers each day and proving that jobs don't have gender. Our Carpenters Union believes that we are one craft with many faces and our Locals should be made up of a group of Local, diverse people. That's what our Sisters in the Brotherhood program is all about.
The Goal? Increase the number of registered pre-apprentice women carpenters from two to 10 percent. Over the last five years of the SIB program, we've seen steady increases in the number of registered pre-apprentice women carpenters and we are so encouraged by the response to this program. Join the movement today!
Sisters Pre-Apprentice Program
The SIB pre-apprenticeship program is a six-week training course that prepares women to become carpenter apprentices. The 40-hour per week course trains women carpenters in a variety of in-class curriculum and hands-on training in mathematics, occupational safety and hazards, hand/power tool training and job-site culture. After successful completion of the program, women carpenters graduate to the NRCC Apprenticeship program. We encourage you to attend an upcoming information session in your area to learn more about the Sisters in the Brotherhood Pre-Apprentice Program.
Upcoming Pre-Apprentice Events
- May 14, 10 a.m. - Rensselaer County Government Center, 1600 Seventh Avenue, 4th Floor, Troy, NY 12180
- May 14, 2 p.m. - Albany Career Central, 175 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12206
- May 15, 10 a.m. - Schenectady, 433 State Street, Schenectady, 12305, 4th Floor
- May 15, 5 p.m. - Carpenters Training Center, 16 Corporate Circle, Albany, NY 12203
- June 18, 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. - Carpenters Apprentice Training Facility 75 Fieldcrest Avenue, Edison, NJ 08837
- August 20, 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. - Carpenters Apprentice Training Facility 75 Fieldcrest Avenue, Edison, NJ 08837
- May 24, 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. - 270 Motor Parkway, Hauppauge, NY 11788
Sisters in the Brotherhood Leading the Way Conference
Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters hosted the first-ever Sisters in the Brotherhood Leading the Way Conference at the new, state-of-the-art Carpenters Training Center in Edison, New Jersey on April 13-15, 2018. The three-day conference brought together current and retired women carpenters, elected officials and local businesses/organizations to honor 14 Pioneer Sisters – female union carpenters who have spent more than 20 years on the job site paving the way for other aspiring tradeswomen.
Read more about the SIB Leading the Way Conference.
- April 16, 2018 - ROI-NJ - Union Honors Sisters in the Brotherhood Who Paved Way for Today's Woman Carpenters
- April 13, 2018 - FIOS1-NJ - Conference in Edison Aims to Get More Women Interested in Carpentry
- April 3, 2018 - ROI-NJ - Carpenters State of Art Apprentice Training Center Fills Important Need in State
- March 12, 2018 - Baltimore Sun - Building Careers: Arbutus Training Program Draws Women to Carpentry
- February 8, 2018 - WICZ-NY - Carpentry Program for Women Coming to Binghamton
- September 4, 2017 - NJBIZ - Changing with the Times: Carpenters Union Reaching Out to Women & Minorities
Become a Sister
Interested in joining the Union and making a great wage, healthcare and retirement benefits?